Saturday, June 28, 2014

Walking on to the Spirit World: Clarence Chicks

I met Clarence Chicks over ten years ago, I think he was 86 then. It was unrealistic, I suppose, but, for years, I secretly hoped that I would hear about Clarence's death in time to attend his funeral. His obituary is in the latest issue of Mohican News, which I received this morning.

cemetery-cross1

In addition to the usual recitation of things like a person's jobs and loved ones, Clarence's
obituary said something about his character.
Clarence Alfred Chicks, age 96, of Gresham, passed away peacefully on Saturday, June 14th, 2014 at his home surrounded by his loving family. Clarence was the oldest living member of the Stockbridge-Munsee Band of Mohican Indians and one of only two surviving tribal members who served in WWII. He was a man of faith in God, a son, brother, husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather, friend, neighbor, and patriot who touched the lives of countless people across multiple generations and never harbored a bad thought nor spoke an ill word about anyone he ever met.

There aren't many people like that.

Goodbye my friend!

 

 

See these prior posts about Clarence Chicks:

A Clarence Chicks Portrait

Clarence Chicks at 91

 

No comments:

Post a Comment