Monday, April 28, 2014

Answers to Questions about Stock-Mo-History

author picInstead of being about history, this blogpost is about the website itself.  The first four questions are about the name of this website.

 

Q1: In a comment to the post prior to this one, Molly Miller, a member of the Stockbridge-Munsee Historical Committee, wrote "many elders do not like being referred to as stockmo." Please respond to that.

A: Let us not confuse the name of this website with the name of a proud and determined tribe of Indians, the Stockbridge-Munsee Band of Mohican Indians. If we take Molly's complaint - as quoted above - literally, it sounds like the elders are accusing me of trying to change the name of the tribe to the "Stock-Mo's," which seems kind of silly. But I'll say one more thing: It was never my intent to offend anybody.

 

Q2: But people still want to know why you call your website "Stock-Mo-History"?

A: According to web-building experts,  the name of a website and its url should be short and catchy, something that people will find easy to remember. I'd had a blog since 2008 called Algonkian Church History and I had to admit to myself that it was not a catchy name and would not be easy for people to remember.

 

Q3: But you're still using the name "Algonkian Church History" as the title of the blog, which makes up most of the content of this site?

A: That's right. I like that name for a number of reasons, including the fact that it encompasses the history of Indians from many tribes.

 

Q4: So when will you consider getting rid of the name "Stock-Mo-History"?

A: I've paid for that domain name for the minimum three-year term. So, after a total of three years.

 

Q5: Who is the intended audience of "Stock-Mo-History"?

A: Anybody who is interested in the subject matter of any of the pages or posts. I'm proud that one set of regular visitors to my blog since 2008 has been teachers and students of K-12 school districts in Wisconsin.  I also can tell you that a lot of  Mohican descendants (who aren't necessarily enrolled members of the Stockbridge-Munsee Community) not only read my blogposts, but they also contact me.

 

Q6: Are any changes in store for the blog?

A: Yes, I've said and written in a number of places that I don't want the blog to be about me or about my viewpoints only. There will be video interviews on upcoming posts. (In other words, I will be interviewing some Indians). I'm excited about that.

 

Q7: How do comments work on this site?

A: Anybody can submit comments to any page or blogpost - I filter the comments for spam, but I won't filter out negative or critical comments, within reason.

 

Q8: What do I do if I want to contribute content to the site?

A: If you have more than just a comment, please contact me at siemerscreek at yahoo dot com. There are other ways to get in touch with me if you go to the "Stockbridge Mohican History" tab and scroll down.

 

Thanks for reading!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment