Friday, March 21, 2014

From Stockbridge, Massachusetts to...not only New Stockbridge, New York

berkPictured above: The Berkshire mountains (hills) of western Massachusetts.


The Munsee Indians by Robert Grumet covers a people who had - to a large extent - intermarried with other tribes by the end of the Revolutionary War. It seems the Munsees were most likely to mix-in with Mohicans (Mahicans) and other scattered Algonquian-speaking people. So I was not surprised that Gromet appears to do as good a job of anybody in following the Stockbridge Mohicans from their town in Massachusetts to their next home, which, he points out, wasn't New Stockbridge, New York for everybody.
Some Stockbridgers also moved north to the Abenaki town of St. Francis Odanak. A few trekked west to join with the Delaware Indian main body in Ohio. Family traditions also affirm that a small number of families refusing to leave settled in remote hollows in the mountainous country about Stockbridge [Mass.] (page 279).

It shouldn't really surprise us that the make-up of a tribe would change somewhat with each migration. To some extent, it also explains how the "people of many trails" came to be made up of many tribes.

I was surprised that Grumet doesn't cover the Gnadenhutten Massacre. I'm saving that shameful event in American history for a later post, but I hoped that Grumet would at least mention it and weigh in on the somewhat controversial issue of whether the victims at Gnadenhutten were Delawares or Mohicans. Nevertheless, the tone of the whole book suggests that by 1782, the Munsee Delawares were so inter-married with other tribes that it might be pointless for him to argue whether they were Mohicans or Delawares: they must have been both.

[mc4wp_form]

11 comments:

  1. My brother recommended I might like this website. He was entirely right.
    This post truly made my day. You cann't imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and
    I am waiting for your next write ups thank you once again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog you have got here.. It's hard to find high-quality writing like
    yours these days. I really appreciate people like
    you! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its like you learn my mind! You seem to know a lot about this,
    such as you wrote the e book in it or something. I feel that you could do with
    some % to force the message house a bit, but instead of that,
    that is fantastic blog. A great read. I'll certainly be back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, i read your blog from time to time and i own a
    similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of spam responses?
    If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you can suggest?
    I get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any assistance is very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful web site. A lot of helpful information here.
    I am sending it to several buddies ans also sharing in delicious.
    And obviously, thank you in your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed, I must say. Seldom do I encounter a blog that's both equally educative
    and interesting, and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the head.
    The problem is something not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i'm very happy that I stumbled across this during my hunt for something regarding this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am
    in fact pleassant to read everthing at one place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a blog
    website? The account aided me a acceptable deal.
    I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heya! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any
    problems with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a few months of hard work due to no data
    backup. Do you have any solutions to protect against hackers?

    ReplyDelete